My Friday was made infinitely better when Natasha from Eat, Sleep, Shoot travel blog got in touch to say she had nominated me for a Liebster Blog Award.
This is an award given to fellow bloggers to show appreciation for new blogs that they’ve enjoyed reading and think deserve a mention.
When I first started this blog (back in 2012…) I was nominated for this award a couple of times, but this is the first time I’ve been nominated since I re-launched the blog back in June 2014. It’s lovely to know there’s someone out there enjoying my ramblings, and is a nice little motivator.
11 random facts about me
- Although I go on about my ginger cat Jim quite a bit, I also have another tabby called called Rosie, and two guinea pigs called Biscuit and Patches.
- I’m not a fan of the English summer (too humid) but I don’t mind hot weather abroad where the air-con is better!
- I adore documentaries, particularly anything with Louis Theroux or Michael Palin.
- I wish I could pull off ginger hair.
- Trains are my secret love. If I could, I would travel on them everywhere.
- I’m obsessed with extreme weather…
- I prefer to travel with a friend
- Because I often fall asleep when I read, I find graphic novels/manga are the best on my commute into work. I love the Walking Dead, Death Note and Morning Glories series.
- House, Glee and The Mentalist are probably my favourite TV shows at the moment…I have no shame.
- I just want to hug all the animals…apart from snakes. And spiders.
- I just ate a massive slab of chocolate while writing all these facts. NO REGRETS.
Here are the 11 questions from Eat, Sleep, Shoot:
1. Why did you start your blog?
I’ve spent many a week at desks across London, writing for various travel magazines as part of work experience. I adore writing about travel, so decided to start up my own blog to brush up my writing skills!
2. What is your favorite travel quote?
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list” – Susan Sontag
Namely because it sums up my current situation perfectly! I may not be the most well-travelled person/blogger out there, but I sure am determined to see everything!
3. Describe yourself in three words.
I’m not very good at describing myself, so I got a friend to help me out with this one (cheers, Kizzle).
“Sweet, hilarious and caring”
4. Tea or coffee?
Tea, all the way. Yorkshire tea, more specifically.
5. What is the most adventurous thing you’ve done?
Me and adventure don’t really go together…I once considered abseiling down into a volcano, but then I realised I hate heights. And I’m claustrophic.
6. Book or Kindle?
Books, no question. I love the feel and the smell, and the ability to make notes on pages.
7. How do you stay creative?
I’m called upon seven days a week to show creative flair, through my full-time job as a copywriter, my freelance journalist work and, of course, this blog. When I fancy something different, I love taking photos, or designing outfits for animals (don’t ask).
8. What is one skill or hobby you’ve always wanted to learn?
The German language. I’ve been studying it on and off for the past 12 years, but I’m nowhere near fluent. Hopefully one day I’ll crack it!
9. What’s your dream job?
Something incorporating both travel and writing – maybe as a journalist for National Geographic traveller, Lonely Planet or Wanderlust? Either that or I’ll just open up my own cat cafe.
10. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
Although it’s a bit boring to admit, I’m quite happy here in England, taking regular trips abroad. If I had to pick somewhere else though, I’d quite like somewhere in Europe where the weather isn’t too extreme – like Berlin or Venice.
11. What is your dream RTW itinerary?
Gah, I have so many countries on my list to visit! In an ideal world it would be:
London – Maldives – Japan (Tokyo, Nagasaki, Hiroshima Kyoto) – China – Laos – Vietnam – Thailand – Borneo – East coast of Australia – North/South islands of New Zealand – West coast of America – Mexico – Costa Rica – Peru – Bolivia – Chile – Cape Town – London
…might be best to cut this down into stages…
My 11 nominees are…
It’s quite hard to keep track of all those who have been nominated (also – fewer than 200 followers, but where?!) but here are 11 of my favourite blogs at the moment which are worth checking out! (No pressure to take part if you already have…)
1. Lauren fromTea and Post
2. Sophie from Luggage Tags and Ticket Stubs
3. Sarah from Let Me Tell You About a Hotel
4. Laura from Little Travel Bee
5. Char from Taylor Hearts Travel
6. Jodie from The Little Backpacker
7. Jennifer from I Put My Life on a Shelf
8. Kelly and Louise from Pintsized Wanderlust
9. Paula and Daria from See You Soon, Mom!
10. Justine from The Dancing Traveller
11. Justin and Lauren from Justin Plus Lauren
And here are their 11 questions…
1. What made you start up your own travel blog?
2. Where’s the best place you’ve ever visited?
3. Is there anywhere in the world you have absolutely no desire to visit?
4. What’s your favourite animal?
5. What’s your best blogging tip?
6. Is there anything that you absolutely have to take with you on your travels?
7. What do you miss when you’re away from home?
8. Favourite film?
9. Are you a hostel or luxury hotel kinda person?
10. What 5 things would you like to achieve in the next 5 years?
11. What’s one thing you would tell your 16-year-old self?